How to: Shock your pool
Need more help?
Chat live with an HTH® Helpline expert.Chat now
Prefer to call us?
We've got someone standing by daily from 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. EST.(866)-HTH-POOL
In ideal circumstances, shocking your pool just once a week will keep it looking clean and clear, but any heavy rainfall, signs of algae, use by lots of swimmers, or periods of very sunny weather can deplete free chlorine levels, meaning an extra dose of HTH® shock for your pool. Luckily, shocking is very easy if you just follow these four simple steps.
Make sure your pH level is between 7.2 and 7.8, and that your pool’s pump is running.
Snip the corner off the shock product you've chosen for your pool, and sprinkle it along the deepest end of the water.
If any granules settle at the bottom, use a brush to help disperse them evenly.
Finally, wait until your free available chlorine levels are between 1 and 4 ppm (parts per million) before using your pool. Before beginning this process, make sure you follow these tips and rules in order to keep yourself safe and your pool sparkling:
1. Because sunshine can deplete chlorine levels, add shock in the evening for maximum effect.
2. Before using any chemicals, make sure you have on protective gloves and eyewear.
3. Never mix different chemicals or dissolve them before use. 4. Always follow product label instructions.
5. Once you've followed these simple steps, your water will be clear for summer fun!
As always, we’re here to help. If you have questions, contact our help line at 1-866-HTH-POOL or talk to our experts with our live chat!
Please read the following important reminders before adding pool chemicals to water:
• NEVER mix products together or dissolve before use.
• ONLY enter pool when FAC levels are below 4 ppm to prevent risk of bodily harm.