If your pool water is green, black, purple, or brown, let's get it back to clear, sparkling blue.
Need more help?
Chat live with an HTH® Helpline expert.Chat now
Prefer to call us?
We've got someone standing by daily from 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. EST.(866)-HTH-POOL
Possible causes of discolored water are algae growth or excess copper, manganese or iron. Don't let the color overwhelm you; it may be a simple fix.
- Green, cloudy water (algae growth): See the Algae section for more detailed instructions.
- Clear, blue-green water (excess copper): Use HTH® Metal, Stain and Scale Control according to label directions.
- Dark green or brown water (excess iron): Use HTH® Metal, Stain and Scale Control according to label directions.
- Black or purple water (excess manganese): Use HTH® Metal, Stain and Scale Control according to label directions.
- Maintain balanced water.
- Shock treat the pool weekly.
As always, we’re here to help. If you have questions, contact our help line at 1-866-HTH-POOL or talk to our experts with our live chat!
Please read the following important reminders before adding pool chemicals to water:
• NEVER mix products together or dissolve before use.
• ONLY enter pool when FAC levels are below 4 ppm to prevent risk of bodily harm.