What pool accessories do I need for my above ground or in ground swimming pool?
Need more help?
Chat live with an HTH® Helpline expert.Chat now
Prefer to call us?
We've got someone standing by daily from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. ET, Monday – Friday(866)-HTH-POOL
- Pool •
- Pool Maintenance •
A 2,000-dollar pool vacuum? At that price, does it also moonlight as a personal lifeguard?! If you're a first-time pool owner navigating the pool accessories aisle, the potential spend can feel overwhelming. Not to mention the number of choices. Good news: the info you find here will help identify the pool maintenance equipment you'll actually need and what you'll use it for.
Pool accessories for in-ground and above-ground pools:
1) Telescopic pole – telescopic poles for swimming pools work with skimmer nets, leaf nets, vacuum heads and pool brushes, helping you reach varying depths and areas across the pool
2) Skimmer net / Leaf bag – your skimmer net will help you remove debris from the pool’s surface without having to wait for your pool pump to push it to your pool skimmer, basket; your leaf bag will be particularly helpful in the spring and fall, helping you gather bunches of floating or sunken leaves
3) Nylon brush – you'll use this to brush down your walls from any dirt, pollen or algae; you'll also need this to brush out any shock granules, or balancer granules to prevent them from settling on your pool floor
4) Vacuum head & Vacuum hose – unfortunately your filter doesn't always capture all the debris that enters your pool; a vacuum head and hose can be attached to your telescopic pole and used to suck up any debris or dead algae that’s settled onto your pool floor
5) Gloves & Safety goggles – it’s always a good idea to wear rubber gloves and safety goggles when applying your pool chemicals
But wait, how often will I actually USE maintenance accessories?
Remember when you bought that really cool DIY paint sprayer that was going to help you paint a room in minutes just like a pro? That first time you used it was AMAZing. But no sooner did you discover that the time it took to set up and clean up the magical machine was so consuming, it hasn't left that cozy corner of your garage since. And then there was that Pi-day pie plate in the shape of (what else) Pi! For March 14th! What a very specific occasion that was to celebrate exactly one day per year! Can't quite remember which cabinet that found its way into…
You see where this is going… the pool maintenance tools that we've listed here are only those that should absolutely see the light of day on a frequent and regular basis. Maintenance activities are painless but important to do weekly to keep your pool in great shape. Remember: maintaining a beautiful pool is easier and more cost-effective than fixing pool problems that arise.
As always, we hope this helps! For the weekly pool maintenance steps to go along with these must-have accessories, check out “Mission 4: Maintain” at the bottom of this article on How to turn your green water blue. To a season of clean, clear swimming
As always, we’re here to help. If you have questions, contact our help line at 1-866-HTH-POOL or talk to our experts with our live chat!
Please read the following important reminders before adding pool chemicals to water:
• NEVER mix products together or dissolve before use.
• ONLY enter pool when FAC levels are below 4 ppm to prevent risk of bodily harm.